Tuesday 23 June 2009

Another One (probably) Bites the Dust

I've just submitted my entry to the Guardian short story competition. It feels great to send off a piece of writing. Although I'm never under any illusion as to the outcome of the submission, it still feels like an achievement to actually get some work to a standard whereby you're happy for other people to read it.

I personally find it really rewarding to keep writing short stories while I'm plodding on with the novel. I haven't done as much as I'd like recently, and I'm sure I should probably be concentrating all my efforts on wrestling my way through the mighty tome, but there's a great deal of satisfaction to be gained from completing a story, however short it is.

I've got a long way to go before I can celebrate finishing the book and short stories are a great way to hit a mini milestone along the route.

2 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

To cheer you on your writing journey, I'd be delighted if you were able to join in the celebration for my new book! We'll be at Waterstones Islington Green London N1 tomorrow evening from 6.30-8pm launching my new crime thriller, Cut Short. As a fellow writer, you'd be very welcome.

Hack for hire said...

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for invite. Unfortunately, I can't make tomorrow night but wishing you loads of success with the launch. Congratulations on publication - I've just added your book to my list for my next book splurge.