Monday 6 July 2009

Getting Inspiration

Well, it was a bit of a mixed bag last week. It started off so well with lots of words written on Monday and Tuesday and then it all went horribly wrong. I could blame the kids....hell yeah, let's blame the kids! After putting in 14-hour days breaking up fights, preparing food and mopping up poo, the last thing I felt like doing was switching on the computer and getting stuck into the novel.

I know, I know, these are exactly the type of excuses that everyone uses when they say "I'd love to write a book, but I haven't got the time". There's always time, you just sometimes need to give yourself a bit of a kick up the backside. Anyway, that kick finally came after reading the 'race to the finish line' Tweets of novelists Helen and Cally yesterday. It was really inspiring to read about their progress as they completed the last few scenes of their respective books and both sat down with a well-earned drink afterwards.

I think it reiterates the fact that writing can be such a solitary experience and the Internet is a fantastic resource, not just in terms of information about the craft itself, but also for getting in touch with other people suffering the same highs and lows.

They both found the time to write and today I got myself back on track. As the kids created mayhem and destroyed the house, I sat down with my laptop amongst the debris and wrote a few hundred words. Now I'm raring to go again - although I'll probably have to delete everything I wrote today as I'm sure it won't make any sense.

No comments: