Friday 19 June 2009

Yummy Mummy Envy

I always reckon I've done quite well if I manage to have a shower, find some vaguely matching underwear and remember both kids and my bag when I'm leaving the house. So, I was feeling pretty smug this morning when I arrived at toddler play just after it opened instead of running in sweating for the last few minutes.

All thoughts of smugness evaporated when a vision of yummy mumminess swanned through the door and put my poor efforts at hair (scraped back), make-up (none) and outfit (well, it was clean) to shame. Dressed in a crisp, dazzling white linen dress with a long sparkly bead necklace, matching hairband and silver sequinned pumps, the woman had two small kids with her and a third on the way - I'd guess she was about six months' pregnant.

I had to do a double take as I thought Charlotte from Sex and the City had just swanned into playgroup. If I ever had anything white in my wardrobe, it's now turned into the uniform sludge colour of washing that doesn't get sorted into colour groups. I'd certainly never dream of wearing a white dress within a mile of my kids. As it is, I'm usually liberally doused in snot, food and various other child-related goo before we make it anywhere near the public. And how on earth she managed to find the time and space to contemplate, choose, and put on accessories is just beyond me.

You know what they say: "behind every cool, calm and collected mum is a full-time nanny".

No comments: