Tuesday 16 June 2009

What if it's a Load of Rubbish?

Yeah, yeah, I know writers have these melancholic thoughts all the time. I've read countless articles and blog posts about published authors going through various stages in their novels when they think they can't go on; they've run out of ideas; the book isn't actually that great after all. Anyway, unpublished as I am, it's my turn.

Having cracked the halfway point, it seems I've reached the top of the mountain and have collapsed in a sweating, panting heap with no energy left to get back down the other side. I've got serious doubts about my main character, the ending of the book, the sub plots, the minor characters. Are they too stereotypical? Do they have enough going on in their lives? Is the story interesting enough to hold a reader's attention?

I've been forcing myself to keep writing a bit every day and I'm hoping the doubts will pass and I can get back to belting through the first draft and worry about sorting the problems out at the re-write stage.

Unfortunately, I've got some riveting insurance articles to write first today before I can get down to the novel. Got to pay the bills somehow!

No comments: