Wednesday 3 June 2009

Less Thinking, More Doing

I had a quiet work day yesterday so I thought I'd catch up on some pitches and submissions. I sent a short story to 'My Weekly' and I pitched a couple of magazines with a travel article. I also joined up to Shortbread and spent half an hour reading some of the stories to get a feel for the site. There's some really good stuff - pretty eclectic too.

I don't seem to have too much luck when it comes to pitching on spec. I tend to get most work through repeat clients or word-of-mouth. But, every so often, I have a mad morning and write some pitches to send out. I had one accepted a month or so ago and that spurred me on for a bit. Not exactly a retirement fund but it makes me feel like I'm doing something useful on the quiet days.

Anyway, back to writing copy about car insurance...

2 comments:

HelenMWalters said...

I know what you mean about pitching on spec. Sometimes it just feels like things have disappeared into the ether!

Hack for hire said...

Yep, you get all excited about putting a good pitch together and tailoring it to the publication, email it off then... nothing.

I used to work on a magazine and I always replied at least, even when the pitches were completely inappropriate. Hey ho.