Wednesday 6 May 2009

Pink at the o2 (Sunday 3 May)

So, we'd finished the barbecue (which was essentially rained off and moved indoors, in true British style) and were just tucking into another bottle of wine when I was offered a free ticket to the Pink gig. Perhaps it was the wine, perhaps it was the Bank Holiday joie de vivre but before my better judgement could kick in, I'd eagerly accepted.

I've hummed along to a couple of tracks, seen clips from a few music videos and would recognise her photo in a magazine but that's about as far as my level of Pink knowledge goes. So, basically I went along with few, if any, expectations.

Turns out the girl can sing - and I mean really pelt out a number. The gig was more theatrical performance accompanied by rock/pop tunes than anything else but I like the fact that a certain amount of money and effort was spent on the tour. Although I hadn't spent any buying a ticket, I felt justified on the part of the other genuine fans who surrounded us in their droves. The place was packed full of lesbian bikers, teenagers wearing pink tutus, and the odd parent looking out of place but secretly pleased to be there.

I knew more songs that I thought and was genuinely impressed by the quality of the show and the sustained quality of her singing performance. She chatted between songs and flitted around the stage effortlessly in her impossibly high stilettos. The highlight was when she performed a trapeze routine and carried on singing while swinging across the stage upside down.

No comments: