Tuesday 15 September 2009

Avoiding Writing by Learning How to Write

I went to the two-day conference, 'How to Get Published' at Kingston University at the weekend. I'd seen it advertised in a couple of mags and, instead of doing my usual - "that sounds goods, maybe I'll do it next time", I actually booked a place, bundled the kids to my parents and went back to school.

It was a really beneficial two days that was pretty intense but packed full of handy info. It was great to hear from people from all sides of the industry, from agents and publishers to authors. Everyone was honest to the point of being off-putting but, as any budding writer knows, nothing's going to put you off once you get the bug! The authors were genuinely inspiring and although it took them years to make it, they never stopped trying. I have learnt that editing really is the key - Michael Ridpath spent years re-writing his first manuscript until he felt it was in the best possible condition to send to agents. The strategy clearly worked but it means I've got years of work ahead of me before I think about sending anything to anyone - slightly depressing!

Well, I'd better get back to it - 10,000 words to go...and that's just the first draft.

No comments: